Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Wrong place, wrong f*cking time

Chicago was great. We had a blast. We spent too much money shopping and we ate delicious food. RR not only survived the big race, she did terrific and bested her last marathon by an hour and a half. My good buddy came down from Madison, WI to help me cheer on the Rabbit, and we were able to hang out for the day. I met some new people and drinks were drunk. In short: mission accomplished. For more on this feel free to visit RR and her faithfull ghostwriter.

Then what's with your title, Mr. Doom & Gloom?

For that story we have to go back in time two days before leaving for Chicago...
doodely-do-do, doodely-do-do, doodely-do-do

I had just left my office to pick up lunch for the Accountant and myself. I don't have much to choose from for lunch, so I headed down the hill to Wendy's. It is clear that this Wendy's does not have enough competition in the area, for when I arrived the drive-through line was wrapped around the entire building. I figured it would be quicker just to park and go in to get the food, so in I went.

As I was walking out into the parking lot I was being carefull not to spill the large iced-teas in my hands. A guy came driving around the corner of the building and saw me just in time not to make me his hood ornament. He waved me by with a friendly smile, and I continued toward my parked car. I walked around to the passenger side and set the teas on top of the car. My plan was to set them safely on the passenger floor for their commute back to the office. As I was about to unlock the door, I hear someone beeping their horn at me. I realize that it was the same guy that had almost hit me a few moments earlier. At this point he had pulled out onto the side street and was waiting to turn onto the main street. I thought to myself, "What now, Mr. Friendly?" But, as I saw his face, I noticed he was wearing a very strange expression. It was shock and almost fear.

At that point I noticed the huge tire that had just rolled past the front of his car. The huge tire that was headed towards me, towards me and my new car. I stood there and thought to myself, "What do I do? Do I kick it? Do I try and block it with something?" It was then that I realized that this was not "a" tire, this was two tires connected together. This was a set of dually tires off of a semi-truck, still attached to the rim. It was traveling along at about 30 miles an hour like it was on some mission. It slowed down a little when it hit the curb, but not much. I wasn't sure how much it weighed, but I figured blocking it with any part of my body would not be a good idea.

So, there I stood, watching helplessly as this thing smashes into the front of my car; with me only inches away. Yep, that's it there, still smoking from it's daring axle escape. The image quality is not great since I took the pictures with my phone, but you get the idea. From this picture it is hard to tell just how big the thing is.

Seeing it there next to my car gives you a little better idea. Yeah, I guess it's a good thing I didn't try to stop it. My Superman complex has gotten me into to trouble one other time, but not here.

So, after the initial shock of what had just happened passed, my next thought was "where the hell did it come from?" I looked around and saw a semi driving back behind the Wendy's building. I focused in on it and sure enough, it had 18 wheels minus 2. So, I took off running after the truck. The last thing I needed was this to become some sort of bizarre hit and run. At this point the truck had pulled into the parking lot of a small strip mall. I think he realized who I was as I came charging towards his cab. He opened his door with a befuddled look on his face.

"I can't believe that happened!" he exclaimed.

"Yeah, that makes two of us," I said.

"The flibbity-floble must have broke free from the jigerty-floop." At least this is what it sounded like to me. It all made perfect sense to him, although he admitted that he had never seen it happen before. Lucky me, as long as lightening was striking, maybe I should have played the lottery.

He was a nice guy and made sure I had all of his information. When I told him that I had thought about kicking it away he said, "I'm glad you didn't. It would have broken your leg at least. I'm just so glad it didn't hit you." This was true. No one was harmed and my car actually had very little damage under the circumstances. Fortunately it hit with the edge of the tire instead of head-on. And how it managed not to break my headlight and turn signal I do not know. Plus, there are about 30 airbags in the car; thank goodness none of those bitches went off.

So, I guess there is a silver lining to my story. I'm happy with how the VDub held up under duress. Besides, she made it to Chicago and back without further incident. Still, I can't wait to get her fixed.

19 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

yes, but did the ice teas spill?

I'm glad you weren't hurt. Good choice of dining locale by the way.

2:45 AM, October 25, 2006  
Blogger M said...

hahaha, was wondering about the ice teas too ;)

Glad you're okay!

4:48 AM, October 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just crazy. I'm glad that you didn't try to stop it. Sorry about the car.

8:51 AM, October 25, 2006  
Blogger Stephanie said...

DUDE.... That SUCKS.

That is all I can say. Because it DOES suck badly. I have this theory that new cars have this magnetic device implanted within them, that attracts all nature of road flotsam (like rocks), car doors from neighboring parked cars, and bumpers also from neighboring parked cars. This magnetic device wears off after 7 years. How else to explain why new cars mysteriously always get shit happening to them, while faithful 10-year old vehicles go ding-free?? Otherwise, it a mystery of the cosmos.

9:12 AM, October 25, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

wendy and m: The tea shot into the air like some sort of exclamitory celebration. At the end I brought the crushed cups in and they gave me new tea. And Wendy, your chicken sandwich is delicious.

jahowie: What's really crazy is that I still think back and wonder if there was something I could have done to stop it. I guess not though.

doc: And to think that the one extra I didn't spring for was the force field. Well, hind site I guess.

11:34 AM, October 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plan A---Step aside as huge truck tire rolls at a high rate of speed at my car, suffer minor damage to car, take pictures of steaming hot tire and damage to car.

Plan B---Put leg out to stop huge truck tire that is extremely hot and heavy, break leg, and suffer burns while tire rests on top of me and my dented hood.

I like Plan A. You chose wisely.

4:00 PM, October 25, 2006  
Blogger Comm's said...

That was me. Sorry. I would have been a jerk about the thing but hell, I'm union and the money's coming from the bosses pocket not mine. So why not be nice, so you didn't crack my head in. Besides, I saw your car and thought it was an audi or a BMW.

4:14 PM, October 25, 2006  
Blogger Deb said...

Oh wow! You are so lucky that you didn't get hurt! My father drives big tractor trailers, and had this happen to a woman, ---it went right through the windshield. She was okay, luckily, but she could have been literally killed!!!

11:05 AM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger LindzyPinzy said...

woah crazy...yah good thing you didnt try stop it..good choice on that one.

good job to RR

and glad you had a fun time!

4:36 PM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger LindzyPinzy said...

just back visiting and Im rereading my no expression involved comment.that one was just real bad..sorry lol

2:05 AM, October 27, 2006  
Blogger Me Myself and I said...

haha! Wendy, great question!

wow, AML, what a crazy story!! I'm so glad you're ok. A little dent in the car is much better than a broken foot.

Oh, and loved the Wayne's world dialogue. At first I was like "wtf?" until I sounded it out loud and then the lights went off! haha.

10:08 PM, October 27, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

jahowie: I suppose.

comm's: Damn, I new that was you. You were smaller and scruffy looking, but apparently you can take on many forms.

geek: Yeah, all I wanted was some lunch.

~deb: It made me wonder what would have happened had my car not been there. The thing would have hit the busy Wendy's instead. If it was a glass section of the building it could have been bad.
So... The AML: hapless victim or public savior, you make the call.

lindzyp: Worry not, your expression always comes through.

celeste: I can always count on you to get it, or at least try ;)

12:40 PM, October 28, 2006  
Blogger luckysevn said...

You definitely win the "Craziest Story I've Heard All Week" Award!! And complete with pictures to verify the insanity! Impressive!

Good thing you were there to be the public saviour that you were... otherwise we'd all be subjected to a media circus of "Woman Finds Steaming Tractor Trailor Tire in Her Wendy's Chili!!!" Thank you, AML, thank you...

5:05 PM, October 28, 2006  
Blogger Ernie said...

AWesome story!!!! Love it! I am very glad you are alright!

6:49 PM, October 29, 2006  
Blogger Elle J said...

You know those Vdub commercials where drivers get SMACKED by other cars while they are talking about things like cheeseburgers? (i think its VW) You should definitely reinact ur "accident" and send it to them. I volunteer to lunge the tire! =o)

5:07 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

luckysevn: You're welcome. If only the public knew the sacrifices I make for them.

ernie: I am too. Being on crutches for Chicago would have sucked.

elle j: Ah yes, the Vdub "Safe Happens" commercials. I don't think I could stomach a re-inactment. It makes me think of my favorite Vdub commercials with the crazy German guy. Apparently someone decided to un-pimp the truck driver's auto.

12:01 PM, November 01, 2006  
Blogger LindzyPinzy said...

just popping by to wish you Happy Halloween.its the day after now..hope you had fun:)..any weird stories about your tenants on Halloween?

12:37 PM, November 01, 2006  
Blogger Me Myself and I said...

OK I know you're going to have some crazy ghetto-building halloween stories to tell!!! Where are they?!

1:24 PM, November 01, 2006  
Blogger cmeddie said...

Getting your new car effed up sucks. I had two. A cop reverse into me... NICE, and a cigarette hole in the rof interior from the guy who put my tire on. (And we know how much i love smoking.) Ughh!

Glad you are okay!

11:47 PM, November 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home