Sunday, August 13, 2006

Car Luvin'

Indulge me for a moment, if you will, while I talk with you about a subject that is very close to my heart: my car. What, you were expecting something more deep? Not in this post.

I will start by pointing out that I am a car guy. I don't mean this in the... let me check under the hood to diagnose the problem... here, I'll change the oil myself... pardon the grime under my nails- type of way. I am talking about the... read car magazines... shop for cars when I'm not actually looking to buy... hey, did you see that '04 Ferrari 360 Modena Spider just drive by? I wonder if it is the F1 or standard style- type of way. I love cars for their form and function. I enjoy looking at them, driving them, and thinking about them. Even my wife joins in on the fun of appreciating cool cars that go by, or at least she doesn't roll her eyes at my excitement anymore.

So, imagine my joy when I recently went looking for a new car for real, and finally. By finally I mean I was looong over due. Back when I first decided to go back to school to get my real estate license and start my new business, I knew money was going to be tight for a few years. That meant that I needed to sell my everything-you-do-to-me-is-expensive-but-I'm-worth-it baby and buy the uber-practical-and-reliable Honda Accord. The Honda was a fine car, low miles, one owner who treated her well (I knew them). She was nothing fancy, but I was sure I wouldn't have her for too long. Just until I had my business foundation set. Seven years later, she was still with me. This is mainly because, for all of my dreaming, my fiscal sense normally wins out. I sometimes have trouble spending money on something that won't make me money. Plus, I had bought the car outright, so not having a monthly payment was nice too. Then over the past year or so, I started playing the step game. You know, after this step happens, I'll get a new car; no, after this step happens I'll get a new car. Finally near the end, besides really showing her age, she started having one issue after the other. It got to the point where it was just time.

So, after much researching, searching, and hagling, I have a new car. I ended up with an '06 VW Passat:

The color of the picture isn't right. Mine is more of a steel blue than the baby blue above, but you get the idea. I've had her for a little over a month now and I couldn't be happier. I am so glad I ended up where I did. I looked at some fancier cars, but again ultimately my practical side won out (by the way, did you know the fancy-pants guys don't like to hagle as much?) Am I going to pay more for an Audi when this car has the same engine and interior (VW being the parent company to both)? Nope, not at this point in my life anyway.

I hope you don't think that I'm doing a la la la, look at what I have dance here fellow readers. I am just very excited to finally have something I'm proud to drive again. I want to share my excitement with the world. As Ron Burgundy put it:

I am so happy that I wanted to shout it from a mountain.

But, I didn't have a mountian, all I had was this.

Sometimes it's the little things that make me happy. Other times it's a car.

16 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

I love the color! Congratulations! You earned it! :)

1:26 AM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger Comm's said...

I looked at that car as well a few months ago, its got good specs.

6:58 PM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger Stephanie said...

La, la, la, la, look what I have: a blog!

8:40 PM, August 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little things do not make women happy...

The best kind of car is: PAID FOR. That's my my 2 cents.

Nice car. Too bad you can't get that "new car smell" for the bathroom at the model apartment across the hall.

11:39 PM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

wendy: thank you, I agree

comm: "If you ever have the opportunity to drive one, I highly reccommend it, it is so choice."--Ferris Bueller

doc: don't be hatin'

squid: true, but perhaps it can cover the pot smell in the hallway if I drive it up that tenant's ass

1:16 AM, August 15, 2006  
Blogger RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

VW's are terrible. at least mine was. hope you have 1400 bucks laying around when the A/C breaks. and a mere 500 when the headlight flies out of its socket at warp speed on i-71. good luck

6:23 AM, August 15, 2006  
Blogger SRR said...

What's her name???

7:44 AM, August 15, 2006  
Blogger Spacecake said...

Congratulations on my behalf too. I love good cars too... not that we own one that could be placed in that category.

3:38 PM, August 16, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

prettyteeth: Sorry about your VW lemon, I remember your pain. But that is what bumper to bumper warranties are for.

rr: I'll leave that up to you, you're the car namer expert.

geek: You gotta do what makes you happy, even if that is sometimes just making her happy.

spacecake: Thanks, it's always nice to know a fellow appreciator.

5:40 PM, August 17, 2006  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Aaah, yes, the sporty red car with the mysterious blinking light....

7:45 PM, August 17, 2006  
Blogger Me Myself and I said...

Wow, nice car! A smart choice. You're so wise. You're like a miniature Buddha, covered with hair.

11:02 PM, August 17, 2006  
Blogger Me Myself and I said...

Oh, and I gave up my sports car for a Jeep which got totalled two weeks later. Let's just say I was NOT a happy girl.

11:03 PM, August 17, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

doc: "Um, yeah, I just wanted to call and let you know that there is a little red light blinking inside your car."

Yes, it's called an alarm dumbass! Ah, good times.
---
celeste: What, I don't understand you. You know I don't speak Chinese.

Sorry about your Jeep. I've had another person total one of my cars two times in my life. It is heart breaking.

11:29 PM, August 17, 2006  
Blogger cmeddie said...

Congrats! New cars are the bomb, but then they get old... and that part sucks. I remember when people would stop me and ask to look at it. Now they just say "Shit that is dirty" and "Did you know you have some dings and your alloy wheels are all scratched to death? Maybe you should drive safer!"

10:33 AM, August 19, 2006  
Blogger Me Myself and I said...

Dude, I am disappointed. That was a quote from the movie!

5:09 PM, August 19, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

cmeddie: Thanks, you gotta love that new car smell.

celeste: I know, my response was also a qoute from that same part in the movie. Try and keep up will you ;)

2:31 PM, August 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home