Sunday, September 03, 2006

Thanks Mr. Obvious, you're a life saver


That little guy is the young raccoon that was hanging out in front of my rental office. The day before, he was sitting under the apple tree on the complex having a snack. I don't think he is doing all that well. He wasn't acting sick, but they are not normally out during the day. They are more of the nocturnal, scavenger type. Yet here he was, two days in a row, in plain sight.

Coons? When we got coons on the porch at home Momma would just run them off with a broom.


A few of the tenants were freaked out by him, but he didn't seem to mind. And since he didn't mind, neither did I.

Hey, Doctor Doolittle, enough with the nature crap. Get back to the tenant silliness.

Oh, right, sorry. Well, as long as we were talking about spiders last time...

I said enough with...

No, no, this is a tenant story. A tenant walked into my office with an inquisitive look on her face. She is a relatively new tenant, having lived in the complex only a few months. Overall, she is a nice lady, but leans towards the needy side. There always seems to be one issue or another. Plus, when she first came to look at the place she tried to haggle with me over the price. This annoyed me a little, but I can't fault her too much for trying. Then, when she came to sign her lease she tried to trick me into giving her the apartment cheaper by telling me I had said something that I hadn't. This pissed me off. I keep things professional for the most part, but I've never thought much of her since.

"I need your help and recommendation," she began, as she made herself comfy in one of the office chairs. "I saw a big spider sitting in the middle of my living room floor. What should I do about it."

Without saying a word, I leaned over, removed my shoe, and held it up.

She smiled and said, "No seriously."

"I am serious. That's what I do when I see one in my house," I said without a smile.

"Well, I killed it with a broom, because I didn't want to get close to it." She then launched into a long winded story, recalling the event play-by-play. I sat and listened to her, but I couldn't get past the thought: if the damn thing is already dead, then why are you telling me. In fact, even when she finally stopped talking, I still never figured out the answer to that question. As she was walking out the door, she said she was going to go to the store to find something that kills spiders. I made the facial expression equivalent of a sarcastic thumbs-up and shut the door. Sometimes I think people are just lonely, and I am the definition of a captive audience. Lucky me.

22 Comments:

Blogger SRR said...

Oh baby! You deal with fucking idiots! At home and at work. Uh....yeah wait on a minute on that latter part. That excludes ME, of, course! I can't speak for the upstairs tennent. :-)

10:06 PM, September 03, 2006  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Dearest RR, you misspelled "tenant." Now, what were you saying about idiots?

11:19 PM, September 03, 2006  
Blogger Me Myself and I said...

You're probably just one of those super nice approachable people...right?

2:37 AM, September 04, 2006  
Blogger Dan-O said...

Landlord,
Get out quick!!! They are trying to make you stupider than they are by confusing you and asking you a question that really isn't a question, and it's going to make your head explode like the fella on the Chappell Show. It's like this..."I have a question. How do I change Candices oil in her car?......well, I already changed it, I just don't know how to handle it, really. That confused me just writing it. Save yourself.

8:11 AM, September 04, 2006  
Blogger cmeddie said...

I don't really understand Dan-o on the last one. Anyone else? Buehler?

And LANLORD, I got this dead worm in the middle of my driveway. What should I do?

11:43 AM, September 04, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

rr: Jokers to the left of me, clowns to the right, here I am stuck in the middle again.

geek: Oh God, that would be great. They would just call more though.

tt: Happy to be a part of the amendment.

doc: You tell her.

celeste: I'm afraid so.

dan-o: A little less coffee for you my friend.

cmeddie: See above response.

4:14 PM, September 04, 2006  
Blogger RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

I need a drink after reading that.

6:53 PM, September 04, 2006  
Blogger LindzyPinzy said...

weirdness

6:58 PM, September 04, 2006  
Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

It was funny, but I think you need to make the joke shorter "A tenant walked into my office.....why the long face?!" badum-pum! kinda thing ya know?

I keep forgetting to link you man, you should get tha hookup tomorrow.

9:27 PM, September 04, 2006  
Blogger RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

Hey there, Grumpy McMeanface, why dont you take your sad clown ass to bed right now instead of leaving mean comments on the blogs of innocent bloggers. I am sending a little ray of sunshine your way, so you have a bright Tuesday. **sunshine ray**------->

12:42 AM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger Wendy said...

people are weird.

2:28 AM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger The Dog of Freetown said...

Racoons seem to be a step up from rats and foxes. Scavengers yes, but they seem to do it all with a sense of humour, which I respect.

5:41 AM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger Spacecake said...

Why do people make such a big deal out of getting rid of a spider ? Come on. We humans are thousands of times their size (or that's what I've always thought?). JUST KILL IT WOMAN. What is the matter with these tenants of yours...

But uh, have a nice day.

9:41 AM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

iheart: Wait, you don't drink do ya?

lindzyp: Actually pretty normal, relatively speaking.

jerk: You're right, and every story goes better with a rim shot at the end.

iheart(again): Sorry if my sarcasm came across as meanness. I type with a smerk on my face if that makes you feel better.

wendy: indeed

kieran: Yes, anything with a sense of humor can't be all bad.

spacecake: They're all a little "special" in their own way.

iscrazy: Holding my tongue is often the biggest challenge. That's why I've mastered mocking them in my own little ways.

7:15 PM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

((( HUGS )))

7:20 PM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger cmeddie said...

I feel the love...


SIKE.

(SWEET, I just said SIKE!)

10:06 PM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger Stephanie said...

"Psyche." It's "PSYCHE."

Sorry. I had just sent a resume for a proofreading job, and I just got a little out of control for a sec.

11:18 PM, September 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell her, "Rent includes scenery and wildlife fun".

Then, she'd be "Crazy Spider Lady" for the remainder of her lease.

My folks have a 7 unit complex. One couple moved in and were crackin' Budweisers at 9 AM while they were moving in. SURPRIZE! SURPRIZE! SURPRIZE! They were evicted 3 months later...

11:28 PM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

landlord, found you through jerk's site. glad i stopped by! i was just going to check out your blog and maybe check out a few posts when i happened to ready this post and realized i had to comment ...

i was just asked yesterday by my weird-ass neighbor whether we have any problems with spiders in our apartment because her apartment was infested. AND she told me to "watch myself" because there are aparently a family of crazy racoons eating our building. LOL she said that when she came out of her apartment the other morning there was one gnawing on her front door jam ...

isn't it ironic? don't ya think?...

9:53 PM, September 06, 2006  
Blogger Inner Fonzie said...

You should have told her not to kill the spider.. they help keep the cockroaches away...

8:53 PM, September 07, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

squid: Yeah, I'm thinking of charging her more for keeping "pets."

gretchkal: Glad you found me. And yes, it is a small world after all.

fonzie: I'd pay to see a cockroach vs spider fight. The first thought is spider all the way, but I bet the cockroach would give him a run for his money.

12:29 PM, September 08, 2006  
Blogger Inner Fonzie said...

I think the cockroach would win... unless it was a herkin' spider...

5:44 PM, September 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home