Thursday, September 21, 2006

Drama, its what's for dinner

I know that every relationship has its ups and downs. I realize that if you spend enough time with someone you will eventually, occasionally rub each other the wrong way. I don’t care if it’s a man and a woman or a same-sex couple, your best friend, a relative… whoever it is. From time to time you are going butt heads and, in your own way, “throw down.”
Bring it on bitch!
In fact I’ve heard it argued that couples who never fight are doomed to failure because they don’t care enough about the relationship to get mad. Or maybe they are too afraid to express their true feelings to the other person, which isn’t good either.

So, this is all very natural. Then what is my point? The point is that during these episodes of relationship non-bliss, is it really necessary to alert every neighbor in your surrounding area? Now, God knows I’ve had my share of passionate verbal bouts. I am a pretty laid back person, and therefore there are only two people in my life who can actually upset me. One is my mother; the other is my wife. I still say this is because they are the two people I care the most about, so they are the only ones I feel are worth getting upset about.

On the rare occasions I do get riled up, I unleash a pack of spoken daggers wrapped in painful sarcasm. If it goes on long enough, I may even raise my voice to the point that our little dog hides under the bed and tries to find her happy place.

I have not, however, gone outside of my living space calling my partner every foul name I can think of at the top of my lunges. I have never knocked on a neighbor’s door during the heat of the fight, whom I barely know, to profess how my partner has wronged me. I have never taken my partner's clothes and thrown them at (not in) the dumpster outside of my living space. I have never done a dance on the said clothes while they lay in the parking lot. Likewise, I have never called the cops on my partner after she broke the back windshield of my vehicle with a hammer during the argument, only to be told that since her name is also on the vehicle title that she has the right to do anything she wants to it.

I have never done these things my fellow readers, but then again I don’t live in the complex I manage either.

15 Comments:

Blogger SRR said...

"Yous don't do that becuase yous edubacated."

Fucking loud idiots.

(Oh...and I have thrown some of your shit **in the dumpster**)

10:38 PM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger Dan-O said...

I hear ya man. And we have had our spouts on the occasion, but the wife and I don't feel it necessary to scream and yell at the top of our lungs. It's different from couple to couple, and I can attest to the fact that our decible level does not reach NOR exceed the vocals that come from your's and Q's spouts. But yes, we spout from time to time.

11:01 PM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger LindzyPinzy said...

U totally have the right idea. I think thats a great thing to recognize that u only get angry with those you love the most because it actually matters and is worth the energy(as long as u don't express it the way your tenants do). I will try remember that when I am using unnecessary anger energy with bad drivers and pushy people in retail stores.

I hate it when people are so public and dramatic and full of rage like this. grrr..must. hold . back ..angER!

2:59 AM, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Spacecake said...

That's true actually. Thank you, I needed to hear that. Now I can finally stop thinking of myself as a lunatic when I start screaming about things.

But yeah, I guess the times when I actually went and threw other people's stuff all over the walls etc. might have been a bit too much... or not.

4:09 PM, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Deb said...

People do very strange things in the heat of an argument. Now, from the looks of your complex, with drugs and alcohol that come into play--there must be a whole lotta' fun happenings to be seen. It's almost like watching an episode on COPS.

Do you live near your complex at all to witness this? Or was that a dumb question that I should have known by being a reader of your blog? :)

6:54 PM, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Stephanie said...

You haven't??

Well, it's 'cause you've never REALLY LOVED someone. Like in the Whitney and Bobby type of LOVE. That's LOVE. LOVE, baby.

Sometimes I frighten myself.

10:44 PM, September 22, 2006  
Blogger RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

I cant yell when I am doing lunges either. I am too out of breath. Then my legs hurt the next day.

11:34 PM, September 22, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

rr: Yes, we won't even mention some of the things you did during our many years of courtship, my crazy little lady. Just keep the toilet paper away from my car.

dan-o: You guys tend to be of the quiet angry type, which I respect. Whatever works for you really.

lindzyp: People don't realize how much energy it takes to be angry and/or hold a grudge. Why we waste it on those we don't care about I'll never understand.

spacecake: We're all a little loony from time to time. It's just our pressure relief valves.

~deb: As the teacher on Southpark says, "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people." ;)
No, I don't live near the complex. Any incidents which occur at night(that I don't get called in on) are told second hand through my on-site maintenance guy. The part of town I live in is equally diverse, but is one of high rehab and revitalization just outside of our downtown.

tt: Please, don't let me trump your thought stream. I only hear about grade school drama at home. I turn to you for the high school stuff.

doc: Yep, sometimes you frighten me too :)

iheart: Oh yeah, my days of yelling while lifting weights in the gym are over. Now I just want to be in shape, I don't want to be any bigger.

geek: It's OK as long as they are of the salty, cashew type. And chocolate covered. Mmmm, chocolate covered cashew people.

11:30 AM, September 23, 2006  
Blogger Me Myself and I said...

I have never thrown my partners stuff off the balcony from our 7th floor suite even though all my friends encouraged it.

4:49 PM, September 23, 2006  
Blogger M said...

but it's so entertaining to watch! ;)

7:42 PM, September 23, 2006  
Blogger Deb said...

Purely coincidental that we touched upon the same subject! Weird that we did too! But I assure you, what’s happening to both my friends had to be addressed. No piggy-backing on anyone’s blog! Great minds… ;)

1:21 PM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

celeste: Cheerleaders in crime, eh?

m: True, I am occasionally tempted to bust out the popcorn and just observe, until I remeber I'm at work.

~deb: Just messin' with ya, my sarcastic smirk doesn't always come through in print... great minds indeed.

10:15 PM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger Wendy said...

You have never done any of those things? Huh, I have...but I was 20!

maybe 21...

1:35 AM, September 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about when you be the bigger person and walk away to a secure room only to have the cops put you in cuffs ten minutes later because the (B.I.T.C.H.) popped herself in the nose to make it bleed right as they got there???

That there, that's LOVE!
(No not Wendy)

5:51 PM, September 25, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

wendy and squid: Match made in heaven?

1:35 AM, September 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home