Friday, July 14, 2006

You can put your weeed in there

So I recently moved a new tenant into an apartment that shares the hallway with my leasing office. She is young, cute, soft spoken, and pleasant mannered. She had just moved into town from Chicago and this is her first apartment. She has a decent job and is the niece of one of my other tenants. He is a good guy and has been a great tenant, so this is a nice reference to have. Still, my spidy-sense was tingling about moving her in right by the office. I have learned to trust my instincts in this job and it normally serves me pretty well. But, as it turned out, this was the only apartment I had ready at the time and she was in somewhat of a hurry to move in. So, in she went.

All was well. For the first few weeks I didn't hear much out of her and very rarely saw her. This is a good thing by the way. Some of my favorite tenants are the ones that I barely know their names. Why? Because I don't have to hound them for their rent and they don't complain about crap.

Back to my story. La la la, life is good. Then one day I smell it. It starts to creep under my office door at first. Then, when I open the door it punches me in the nose. The smell of pot is undeniable. I have never partaken myself, but I lived in a college dorm long enough to know it well.
"Dude, he's rockin' the ganja!"


Now, I'm no prude. Far be it from me to get in the way of a little "relax time." But across from the leasing office, and in the middle of the day? Come on for crap's sake!
Hello and welcome to the apartment community. That smell? Why, that's just the way we roll around here.
I opened the hall window, spayed some odor neutralizer and hoped this would be an isolated occurrence.

About a week later the hall fills with what smells like burning shit. My maintenance guy, who was a user in a previous life, informs me that the smell is Jamaican skunk grass. Who knew? Remember the time when I told you this job teaches me things I never wanted to know? Well, this was one of those instances.

Now, the maintenance guy can speak to the tenants from an "unofficial" standpoint; whereas I am seen as a direct representation of the company. So I have him mention the situation to her in a casual way. He informs her that the smell is going into the hallway. She seems surprised and almost embarrassed. He even gives her tips on making it less obvious. Does this solve the situation? Hells no. Next comes the following letter from me:

Dear (tenant),

This letter is regarding the smell of an apparent illegal narcotic coming from your apartment and filling the building hallway on a repeated basis. This occurrence must come to an immediate end. Please know that this is taken very seriously and is putting your tenancy at risk. We enjoy having you as a tenant and would hate to see you lose your apartment for this reason. Thank you in advance for your prompt attention to this matter.

The next phase is for Captain Brilliant (aka The Pot Head Tenant) to... stop smoking weed in her apartment you ask? No, no silly reader. She sticks a lit stick of incense in the doorbell outside of her door. That's right, lit on the outside of her apartment. That way it can ash down onto the hallway carpet below. After a quick bang on her door she opens with a surprised look.
"You can't do this," I say holding up the incense.
"I'm sorry, I wanted it to smell better," she says sounding all hurt.
"I appreciate that, but I'd rather not burn the building down in the process," I scold back.

Her days are numbered.

12 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

wow. It astounds me how stupid people are. The incense stunt is even more ridiculous than the pot. She definately needs to get off the stuff it is killing her brain.

1:59 AM, July 15, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

tt: I suppose sanity is all relative. But, yes, I fear that your assumption may be a bit large.

Wendy: Do you remember the "This is your brain, this is your brain on drugs" commercials? Well, I can practically smell her brain cooking. At least I think that is what the smell is.

12:15 PM, July 15, 2006  
Blogger Me Myself and I said...

you gotta watch out for those "young, sweet, quiet" ones, they can be the worst trouble-makers of all!

3:30 PM, July 15, 2006  
Blogger RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

Is this the same apartment you poo in? If so, maybe she was just trying to aerate the place. Also, if so, what are you going to do now? This could be more of a problem than you think.

12:18 AM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

celeste: Very true, for they are the ones that catch you off guard.

pretty teeth: Quite observant of you, but no. The model in which I poo is actually next door to her apartment. Also, I understand how to use the powers of ventilation.

1:05 AM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger SRR said...

Where do you find these B-Grade tenents? Sheesh!

10:08 AM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger Stephanie said...

But look on the bright side: if the building burns down, no one will be bothered by the smell of the pot.

3:08 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Spacecake said...

I'm seriously pissed now. I'd like to enjoy your interesting post about pot and all that, but people are getting on my nerves and I only got halfwayt through. GOD ANNOYS ME (..like there is one).

5:23 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

doc: True, the Milton method may cover a multitude of problems. I should say no more.

spacecake: You tell the deity of your choice and the rest of the world that it is time to read the brilliant offerings of The AML. All else can wait.

6:05 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger cmeddie said...

AML - I think you have stumbled upon one too many absent-minded tennants, but it makes for an interesting read. Good work... Carry on, Carry on.

9:57 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger The Dog of Freetown said...

I just moved out of a flat share recently because a new guy moved in who smoked hash 24/7. No really, almost in his sleep. He can do what he likes, it's just the problem was that when I went to work my clothes smelt of the stuff and it made me look bad. Only choice was to move. But in your situation I think the letter was enough, so given that she hasn't got the message yet (or is choosing to ignore it), the only feasible option is to order a hit on her. Go on, make the call.

8:01 AM, July 18, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

kieran: How did you know I knew the right people to call... oh, I mean, I don't know what you're talking about.

geek: No sense beating around the bush with it I guess. He just put it right out there. He am what he am, and I respect that.

5:54 PM, July 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home