Tuesday, July 11, 2006

All work and no play makes one healthy, wealthy, and w...wait that's not how it goes

Friday started off in my office. Most of the day was going to be spent out of the office, so I was busy wrapping up loose ends before I departed. As I sat at my desk, I realized I was going to have to drop the kids off at the pool before the day went any further.

Oh my, what a crass euphemism.

Now, my landlording office is a small one. It is basically one of the studio apartments with an opening to the attached utility room for the building. My desk is in the front room. Then there is a kitchen, a bathroom, and the utility room which is separated by a cubicle divider. The latter is where the company accountant's and owner's desks are. So, as part of your visualization, keep in mind that the bathroom and the accountant's desk is about an arm's length from each other. Therefore, unless I have the office to myself when the catcher calls for the #2 pitch, I choose to take care of business elsewhere.

My elsewhere of choice is the model apartment I keep across the hall from the office. I have adopted this method because it is clean and close by. Therefore I can normally be done and back before anyone even realizes I was gone. When I go I take the key to the model (which is normally sitting on my desk) and my cell phone--> just in case they realize I'm gone and a panic ensues. I go over, lock the apartment door behind me, and commence with the task at hand. Now, just as things are wrapping up, I get a call from the office on my cell. I don't answer because, well, things are wrapping up and I'll be there in a second. Then, just as I'm crossing the main room to leave the apartment, the owner unlocks and opens the front door. He apparently had gotten the secondary key out of the key box. He hits me with a surprised look (as I'm sure I did him) and says, "someone is here and wants to see the model." CRAP--pun intended--of all the damn times to get a walk in showing appointment! The prospective tenant walks into the model and I take over acting like nothing is out of the ordinary. Why yes, I often lock myself into the vacant, unfurnished apartments. And that odor? Why it is the Ode De Ass colone we spray in each unit for that comfy, lived in feel. The owner shoots me a knowing smile as he leaves the room. It is never spoken of again.

Now, to change the subject, I don't want you fellow readers to think my days are all working and pooing. I realize I hit you mainly with work stuff here, but I assure you I have my enjoyments too. Case in point, the rest of the day Friday was spent on the golf course. This doesn't happen all that often, but from time to time we put together a golf outing for the construction guys as a type of morale booster. Now, me on the golf course is sort of along the Happy Gilmore "I'm a football player playing golf today" lines. But even though I can count the number of times I've actually played on two hands, I can usually hold my own. I did in fact hit my very first birdy ever (A birdy is when you shoot one under par. Par is... well never mind. If you don't know you probably don't care).

"Step right up and take a look at the amazing golf-ball-whacker-guy!"


Then, that evening the wife, some friends, and myself went out to one of our favorite Mediterranean restaurants for good food and belly dancing...

She was enthralling, and the whole sword balancing on the head thing was pretty cool. So, from pooping to eating, it was a pretty good day.

"I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast."
"You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?"
"NO!"

11 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Now that is funny! And, embarassing...at least for me and I wasn't even there.

3:25 AM, July 11, 2006  
Blogger Wendy said...

what a stupid thing to say, yes, I was there and the smell, good lord.

Turn on the fan next time.

3:26 AM, July 11, 2006  
Blogger RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

Well,glad everything came out OK!!!

HAHA!!

6:15 AM, July 11, 2006  
Blogger SRR said...

Hey you...get off my jock with posting the same damn pics!

9:31 AM, July 11, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

Hey RR, something that good is worth repeating.

11:32 AM, July 11, 2006  
Blogger Me Myself and I said...

Shooter McGavin is awesome.

1:37 AM, July 12, 2006  
Blogger Me Myself and I said...

Oooh, and I like how you tied the pooing and the golf all in together with that last quote. Excellent!

12:50 AM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

Celeste: Whether it's excellent or scary I'm not sure which, it's just the way my mind works. Thanks for catching that though.

5:53 PM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger Wendy said...

all work and no play makes Jack a very dull boy.
all work and no play makes Jack a very dull boy
all work and no play makes Jack a very dull boy...

time to update! Don't make me get all Stephen King on you.

1:34 PM, July 14, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

Not everyone has time to post a few times a day, Wendy ;) Besides, I'm worth the wait right?

12:30 AM, July 15, 2006  
Blogger Wendy said...

oof, you hurt me, lol...yeah, when I am working, January-April, there is no updating as you will see if you dig into my archive.

Oh, I am a tax preparer. No blogging during tax season, I become Jack.

Right now my job is to help remodel this house. I'd rather be doing returns.

and, yes you are worth the wait. :)

1:53 AM, July 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home