Monday, November 06, 2006

No Bandwagon Here

To ensure clarity, even for my non-American friends, for the purposes of this post when I say football I am referring to American football of the oblong ball-lots of pads- hit you on purpose-variety. When I say soccer I mean European football of the round ball- few pads- hit you not as much on purpose- variety. I would also like to preface, before loosing any of my not-interested-in-sports-readers, that I promise not to get all technical here; please bare with me.

What, another post already? I just barely got through your last thesis-sized one.

I know, but after the events of yesterday, I felt the need to share. So, gather ‘round close kids as I impart some words of non-importance.

Regardless of what message my current physique may send, I’ve been an athlete most of my life. I played baseball; I dabbled in basketball; I did track. As a kid I was an avid soccer player, at least until I was old enough to play football. Once I was, I never looked back. Sure, other sports co-existed, but they became just ways to past the time or stay in shape for football. Football was my athletic love and I was hooked. People often told me I had a football build, whatever that means; but I guess it was just meant to be.

When a friend of mine, gained later in life, learned this about me she said, “Oh God, you were one of those jerks on stage wearing a jersey during pep-rallies?” Yes, I was, although I was far from the stereotypical jock. I took advanced classes, specialized art courses, and was editor of the school paper. But, I think most importantly, I got along with pretty much everybody. Who I hung out with transcended groups or clicks.

So, where am I going with this? My only point is that I am a fan of football. Now that I no longer play (aside from the in-frequent pick-up game), I watch. Although here, also, I am slightly abnormal. I have friends who watch SportsCenter religiously. They know the outcome of every game, mainly since they watched most of them. They follow players from College into the NFL and know their history. One buddy of mine even remembers numbers (like phone numbers, etc) by relating them to player’s jersey numbers.

I am not this guy; never have been, never will be. I think for some guys this becomes a way of relating to their fathers early on. And since primarily my mother raised me when I was younger, I never felt this need. Of course that could just be the psychologist in me speaking, who knows for sure. I do know that when I’m in a group of guys and the topic changes to sports, I normally don’t contribute all that much. I know enough to play, teach others, and thoroughly enjoy any game. But when people start in with “Did you see Smith was traded to Denver? You know he ran 1,500 yards for USC right?” I turn to the nod and smile.

In fact, when it comes to football, there is only one team I watch: The Bengals. They are my hometown team and I have been rooting for them for as long as I can remember. Back in the days before Boomer wore a suit and just read from a teleprompter. Back when Icky was still doing his shuffle instead of selling carpet; when Anthony Munoz was crushing linemen instead of the competition in furniture sales.


The Bengals have not made it easy to be a fan of theirs over the years. They earned the nickname “Bungles” whole-heartedly for quite some time. I would make an effort to watch them each Sunday, though normally without much expectation. I learned early on not to become too emotionally attached. They were an unreliable mistress, and my heart had been broken many times. Still, I stuck around. No paper bag on my head, I openly rooted for my team.

“Daddy, The Bears aren’t even that good this year. Why is that man wearing their hat?”
“No, honey, that’s not a Bears’ B, that’s a Bengals’ B.”
“Who, Daddy?”

For years I asked for the team to give me something to cheer for. They didn’t need to be good, just don’t suck.

Now is a new day. Over the past few years the Bengals have taken a new turn. Suddenly it is cool to root for them. Their merchandise flies off shelves and it is trendy to wear one of their jerseys. The other day, while enjoying my lunch at a local sub-sandwich establishment, I overheard four teenage girls having an argument over who their favorite Bengal player was.

So, yesterday as I watched them loose for the second straight week (this time to the team they needed to beat to stay tied for first place) I realized that many a fan were sure to be crestfallen. “I thought they were supposed to be this powerhouse of a team. They just look average to me.” How quickly they forget that we are lucky just to have something to cheer for.

The moral of the story is this: don’t ride the bandwagon. Decide what you care about and stick by it. Even if it’s not popular at the time, stake your claim proudly. This can be applied to politics, relationships, any number of things. And who knows, with a little consistent support, even the underdog may surprise you.

16 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Longest. Football post. Ever.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

11:48 PM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger Me Myself and I said...

but but but! the bandwagon has such comfy seats!!

12:30 AM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger M said...

my AFL team (Hawthorn - Hawks), have been the most abysmal side in the league for the past 10 years! In the 80s they were kicking arse. Do you think I've given up on them? Well, yes, okay I have - BUT they're still *my* team.

And yes, passion and loyalty always wins out in the end - in almost all areas of life. :)

6:35 AM, November 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a Lions fan!! I could never be accused of being a bandwagon fan. :-) BTW--Nick made the basketball team yesterday!! Very cool.

8:53 AM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger JLee said...

a guy...that likes football.... SHOCKING!!! lol
I agree about the bandwagon thing...amen, brotha man!

12:05 PM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger Dan said...

I have no problem liking things that aren't popular. In fact, I seem unnaturally drawn to unpopular things (but let's not get into the details). And then, when those things do become popular I think "there must be something wrong with this, because so many people like it"

So I conclude that it sucks and end up disliking it.

Should I seek help? ;)

6:05 PM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

GO BUCKS!!!

7:32 PM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger Dan-O said...

With ya Bud. Go Bengals, do or die. And lets put this turn on it.....Just think of how the true red white and blue Cub's fans feel after sucking for what's coming up on a Century now. THAT IS DEDICATION. Let's hope though that our lack of a championship team doesn't last that long.....KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!

7:54 PM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

doc: While I knew this topic would not be up your alley, I tried to keep it light and story-like, with an underlying message. Sorry to have failed you.

celeste: True, sometimes riding the faithfull bench makes you end up with a sore ass.

m: All areas indeed.

jahowie: I thought I saw you with a Steelers hat on though. I KID, I KID! Congrats to Nick.

jlee: Thanks sista, I shall continue to testify.

dan: I tend to do this with music sometimes. If a band I've "found" get's too popular, and the fans get all annoying, it takes something away from it.
But yes, seek help :)

iheart: While I appreciate your enthusiasm, OSU has never really sucked since you have been a fan. We'll see how you do when they stop going to bowl games.

dan-o: I am knocking on wood as I type this. Hell, I'd polish and stroke wood if it would help. Wait, that sounded bad.

10:33 PM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger Wendy said...

I love you, but I blacked out somewhere around the word football. (shhhh, noone is suppose to know that if I sit down and watch a game I root for the team with the best hineys...)

I absolutely agree. There is no dignity in fair weather fandom.

Go Wolverines! (grew up rooting for them, being as my entire family is from MI)

1:27 AM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger SRR said...

But I LOVE riding the bandwagon!!!! LOVE IT!! :-)

7:08 AM, November 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steelers!! Never!! :-) BTW--they say that green tea will help keep your bandwagon up for riding. ;-)

11:03 AM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

wendy: I do the same thing with beach volleyball. Those guys must really workout. Girls, I meant girls.

rr: You do know that we're not talking about a wagon with a band on it right?

jahowie: I fear we have an issue with definition going on.

11:42 AM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Deb said...

My friend keeps trying her hardest to teach me about football, and even though I did learn the 'basics' of it, I just can't get into the tons of bodies smashing into one another to only go one yard away. It baffles me that game. I know tons of people love it, but I'm all in it for the beer and wings!

12:35 PM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

~deb: Just picture it as a violent chess game with each move (play) getting the team closer to the other team's side (touchdown).
Or just enjoy the beer and wings.

geek: What is this futball of which you speak?

12:33 PM, November 09, 2006  
Blogger cmeddie said...

I love the Bengals. No bandwagon... I even own two seat licenses, and that is forever!

11:55 PM, November 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home