Saturday, November 18, 2006

Mine Eyes Have Seen the... Glory?

As a kid, life was a blank slate. It seemed as though every turn of events was surprising and fascinating. People would surprise me and curve balls could come around any corner. It was a confusing time, but a carefree one. My glasses were rose colored and ignorance was bliss.

Now, as I get older, I am surprised by less and less. Not to say that I’ve become hardened and cynical (well OK, I am generally rather cynical). It’s just that I’ve seen a lot over the years. Life has presented itself in surplus, and I am pretty observant.

Most people who have met me would say that I’m a laid back, fun-loving fella. I’ve tried hard to not let life change this. Back in the day when I was still considering going for my doctorate in Psychology, I made sure to observe as much of the field as I could. In that, I saw a good friend of mine change over the years. I always knew her as someone with a gleam in her eye; someone who was quick to flash you a smile and laugh at life. But years of being a Psychologist have broken her. Day after day of dealing with other people’s problems has brought a sadness to her that is undeniable.

I did not want this for myself. It ended up being one of the reasons I went a different direction. Granted, I deal with a lion’s share of idiocy on a regular basis. The difference is that it is not my job to save them. From this standpoint I make sure their residential experience is as pleasant as possible, and I make sure they pay their rent. Other than that I can stand back and mock them at will. I believe this to be my mental salvation.

So, that is me in a nutshell.

Look at the size of this nutshell. How did I get into this huge nutshell?

I am still willing and able to laugh at life, I can just read it better than I used to. This ability to read life is important to my daily work. I need to be able to judge who is being honest with me; to determine what people’s ulterior motives are (if any). This is never more true than when I am taking an apartment application. I don’t just hand applications over. I fill them out myself, thereby turning the process into a sort of interview. I use this opportunity to get a feel for them. I pick up on when they stumble over an answer or look away. I probe deeper when they try to gloss over. I also do things to amuse myself, such as trying to guess the answers in my head before they tell me. Things like age, or what they do for a living.

Not long ago, a guy came in to look at an apartment. Now, it’s not often that someone makes me feel physically small. Trust me when I say, this dude was big. He was no taller than me, but he was easily two of me thick, if not more. He had a huge barrel chest and wide shoulders. His neck was like a tree trunk that came straight down from his head. Not just muscle, not just fat, he was a hefty combination of both. So, when he said his occupation was “security,” it seemed to fit nicely. I was going with either that or professional midget tosser, but security is more common.

Another guy came in who was a little tougher to gage. He was a well-built man with scruffy clothes and the hands of a laborer. He seemed intelligent enough, but there was just something off about him. He would lose his train of thought, he would repeat himself, and he would repeat himself. At times he would be saying something and then trail off until he was just staring at me. When he said he was a general laborer in construction it still didn’t fit completely with what I saw. I have known many construction workers who are very talented and on the ball. It wasn’t until I asked him the question “do you have any income other than your primary” that the riddle was solved. His response was:

“Yeah, I’m an amateur boxer too. I make a grand here and there when I have fights.”

Yes, this made sense. Apparently he had had his bell rung a few too many times. He never said he was a good boxer.

Aren’t you feeding into a negative mind frame of stereotypes and generalization?

Perhaps, but it’s entertaining for me. And as life opens my eyes more and more, it’s important that I continue to laugh at it. If not, I may start to loose my fight with sanity. It is a slippery slope and at times there are landslides.

25 Comments:

Blogger M said...

this is so true - I can totally id with this. Such a great entry!

I think once you've studied it, it's hard to ever turn off being a psych at heart.

5:46 PM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

Dude, you write the longest fucking blogs EVER!!!

8:11 PM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger JLee said...

I think it's interesting to try and figure people out as well. I once thought of being a Psychologist (I am already one for my friends!) but would fear becoming like your friend you spoke of. I think people give off a certain energy, good or bad, and you can feel it as soon as you meet them or shake their hand.

8:26 PM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger SRR said...

AMEN Iheartprettyteeth. That's why I SKIM IT!!!

10:45 PM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger Stephanie said...

My grandmother does the same thing. But she wasn't a boxer. She has Alzheimer's.

11:35 PM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger Dan-O said...

Teefers, leave the man alone. He has much to say. And Dr. Steph.....that's just wrong.

12:10 PM, November 19, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

m: Yep, I can't shake it, it's just part of who I am.

iheart: How did you ever make it through dental school?

jlee: Kinda like their aura, eh?

rr: Life with ADD must be difficult.

doc: I almost feel wrong laughing at that... no, no I don't. Ha Ha!

dan-o: My thoughts exactly.

geek: And I bet you've never felt your safety threatened by a computer.

4:04 PM, November 19, 2006  
Blogger JLee said...

exactly!

6:42 PM, November 19, 2006  
Blogger Jess said...

I have students who lose their train of thought and stare off into space and others whose train fails to halt and let them board.

Maybe they're amateur boxers as well; I just assume they're all doing crack.

11:41 PM, November 19, 2006  
Blogger Wendy said...

I have a tent set up on the slippery slope. I'll make eggs and bacon in the morning with good stong coffee, next to my tent on the slippry slope. If your in the area, stop by.

2:51 AM, November 20, 2006  
Blogger Evil Spock said...

Argh! What's up with all the thirty-something emo crowd?!? First Baba Ganoush, and now you!

In my line of work, I have to deal with people with quite a few issues, but it just makes me grateful for what I have and don't have. Plus, you have to balance out all that crap with a healthy fun and absurdity.

You should visit The Few more. Our Vulcan Scientists have shown that it cures ennui better than Psychology, which The Few has debunked years ago. Take that TomKat!

9:43 AM, November 20, 2006  
Blogger Timmy said...

i lose my train of thought quite a bit too, I blame the drugs in the 70's.

10:12 AM, November 20, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

jess: No, I'd stick with the crack theory. Either that or any other host of psychotropic medical soup they throw at kids these days.

wendy: Will there be pies?

evil spock: I just take two shots of sarcasm and a dose of smirk and I'm good as new.

timmy: What 70's? You did drugs when you were one year old? ;)

4:39 PM, November 20, 2006  
Blogger Dan said...

It was a confusing time, but a carefree one. My glasses were rose colored and ignorance was bliss.

Dude, your describing my current life. ;)

Seriously, when we get old we get too serious (sh*t, I used the same word, sort of, twice in the same sentence). My goal is to stop saying "That person should stop acting like a child" and instead begin saying "That person should start acting like a child."

Our seriousness is driving us nuts!

1:06 PM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger Elle J said...

AHHH!!!I've been gone for so long I have catching up to do

10:45 PM, November 23, 2006  
Blogger Me Myself and I said...

ahh yes, I can totally relate. good post!

1:35 AM, November 24, 2006  
Blogger SRR said...

I do not have ADD! I resemble that remark!

10:32 AM, November 24, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

dan: "I was so much older then, I younger than that now."

elle j: Was wondering where you were.

celeste: You'll be joining Wendy and I on the slippery slope eh?

rr: I don't know if it's true or just learned (nature vs nuture), but it's there none-the-less ;)

11:26 AM, November 24, 2006  
Blogger Dan said...

Landlord, I was going to use that Dylan quote but I forgot to! I swear! Honest! With whipped cream on top! ;)

11:33 AM, November 24, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

dan: Great minds think alike I suppose.

5:11 PM, November 24, 2006  
Blogger robkroese said...

Ah, the joys of being a landlord. I could tell you some stories.... Actually, it's really just the story of not being able to make my payment because some jerk won't pay his rent, and I imagine you've heard that one.

Nice blog. You should write more. :)

I found you through Dan....

8:18 PM, November 26, 2006  
Blogger LindzyPinzy said...

hmmm...if we could all live like we were blank slates again... If we could try to not let things that are making us upset and are out of our control much worse than they already are. If we could work on changing the things we can change and have control over, then, our lives could be more like that again.

btw..I read about half of this post over like three times and haven't been able to finish until now.

10:54 PM, November 26, 2006  
Blogger LindzyPinzy said...

great post by the way:)!

10:56 PM, November 26, 2006  
Blogger cmeddie said...

You, Cynical? NAH!!! ;)

Fun loving and laid back, definately! Speaking of which, we all should go out!

11:20 PM, November 26, 2006  
Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

diesel: Happy you found me. And yes, I know that story, although I wish I didn't.

lindzyp: I'm glad when you finally made it, it was worth the trip.

cmeddie: I sometimes wonder if you realize that we can get together even when toothy isn't in town ;)

12:55 AM, November 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home